Slike strani

this party was closely followed by a second from the same place, who commenced sluicing on Granite Creek. This second party came in with the military under command of Captain Pishon. Within a year after the advent of the Walker party, several families braved the perils of an overland journey, and settled on Granite Creek. The first family to arrive was that of Julius Sanders and his wife and daughter. They came in with a packtrain in March, 1864. Miss Mary Sanders afterward became the wife of Samuel C. Miller in April, 1867. Other families arriving in 1864 were, Joseph Ehle and family, Daniel Stevens and family, consisting of a wife and a son and three daughters, T. M. Alexander and wife, with three sons and three daughters, Lewis A. Stevens and wife, John Simmons and wife, with two sons and a daughter, and J. P. Osborn

a and wife, with three sons and four daughters. Mrs. R. C. McCormick, the wife of the Secretary, came out in the same year, and died in childbirth in 1866 in the old Gubernatorial Mansion. Captain Leib and wife came with the Governor's party a little prior to the others, and located at old Fort Whipple. Mrs. Leib afterward became the wife of Judge Hezekiah Brooks. By the end of 1864 there were twentyeight of the gentler sex in Prescott. Neri Osborn states that the first marriage in Prescott was that of John Boggs to a woman who came from California, whose name he has forgotten. The Fish manuscript states that the first marriage in Prescott was that of John H. Dickson to Mary J. Ehle, which took place on November 17th, 1864, Governor John N. Goodwin officiating. The first child born was Molly Simmons, January 9th, 1865.

William H. Read was the first clergyman to arrive in Prescott. He came with the Governor's party, and started a Sunday-school for boys, but no regular church organization was effected until June 14th, 1866, which was done by Mrs. Brooks, Mrs. Bashford and Mrs. Turner. The first ball held in Prescott was in November, 1864. The first regular meeting of miners was called for and held in Goodwin City, afterward called Gimletville, on December 27th, 1863, to make laws to suit everybody, particularly the Walker, Lount and Groom people. It is said they made all necessary laws, but could not make mines. Lumber was whipsawed at Prescott for the first buildings.

The first boarding-house for miners was presided over by “Virgin Mary," who built a log house on Goose Flat, and christened it “Old Fort Misery." Two goats furnished the milk, and the price: “Board $25 in gold, per week in advance," hung from the latch-string. Shortly afterward a man by the name of Jackson started another boarding-house, and cut the price to $16 per week in gold. Virgin Mary could furnish goat milk for coffee, which was an attraction, and to offset this Jackson occasionally had a few stewed apples. The main diet was bread, venison and coffee. “Virgin Mary was one of two women who lived in Prescott in 1864. Her name was never known, but she received her nom de plume because of her charity and benevolence. She died about 1888 on Lynx Creek, and her grave is unmarked and forgotten.' (Arizona Graphic," November 25th, 1899.)

[graphic][merged small]

Christy and Van Smith erected under contract, the old capitol building in 1864, of logs, which stood for many years. This was the old capitol on Gurley Street. Arizona's first legislature met in this building. Levi Bashford owned the property for more than twenty years. The original “Montezuma" building was erected in 1864. It was used as a saloon and stood where the Cabinet saloon and the Palace barbershop were located in later years. About twenty feet back of the “Montezuma" the first boot and shoe manufacturing

ring shop was erected. It was built and owned by John Laughlan. Judge Noyes tells how prices ranged for these articles. He bought a very common pair of hand-made boots on July 4th, 1864, for which he paid $37 in gold-dust. At this date currency was worth about fifty cents on the dollar.

D. Henderson & Co., had a general merchandise store near the creek. This place was later occupied by Fred Brecht and used for a blacksmith-shop. The first adobe building in Prescott was used for a saloon, but was later converted into a clothing-house by Cook and Bowers. “Old Fort Misery” on Goose Flat was the first courtroom. Coles Bashford and Judge Howard were the only lawyers. The “Bear Pen” stood opposite the residence of V. A. Stephens. Michael Wormser erected the first building on what is now the plaza. It was built of adobe and stood near the southwest corner of Goodwin and Montezuma streets. He also started what might be termed the first store in the place, buying out Chaves who had made an attempt in that direction. Hitchcock started soon after.

« PrejšnjaNaprej »