Slike strani

and I was on top of it, but Woolsey had jumped down and was lying down on the flat. We heard a shot which waked us both and Woolsey said to me, “You lie still.' I jumped down alongside of him, however, and the first thing we knew the Indians were upon us. Woolsey told me to go behind a rock, and called to McClave to see that the Indians did not get our pack animals. There was a soldier standing behind a rock, and an Indian shot at him. The bullet struck the rock and split, and a piece of it hit the soldier in the back of the head, killing him. The Indians tried to get his gun, but McClave ordered his men to protect him and walked over and got the gun. The soldiers returned to the camp and we packed up that night and moved out of that canyon.

"That night we were attacked again by the Indians, who shot into the camp, but the bullets went too high. Woolsey and McClave got together, and McClave said to Woolsey:'What are we going to do?' Woolsey said: 'It don't make

bit of difference to me what you and your men do, but this man Fourr here has lost two hundred head of cattle, and we are going to whip these Indians. I don't want you or any

your soldiers. You can take your de soldiers and run them to h- Give us five or six men to protect the pack animals, and we will go after the Indians.' Woolsey and myself went up the canyon two or three miles. The canyon was pretty clear of boulders, and we could see the Indians and they could see us. They halloed to us to come on, and we made a charge on them, and of course they ran into the rocks. There were eight of us shooting at them. One Indian was on a rock, and I was firing at



him at a thousand yard range. Woolsey told me to put my sight down to five hundred yards, and then he plugged the Indian and the rest of them ran. The fight didn't last very long after that. We left twenty-seven good Indians there, and there might have been more than that. McClave and his soldiers had caught up and taken part in the latter part of the fight, and McClave asked Woolsey how far it was to water. Woolsey told him that it was about twelve miles down the canyon. McClave said that if he had known that it was so far away, he would not have made that fight for it, and Woolsey replied that he thought the soldiers wanted water pretty bad or they wouldn't have come up and joined in the fight. One of the soldiers was wounded and they put him on a horse, and he died the next day.

‘After we returned to Cullin's Wells, we went back to this canyon again, but could not find any Indians. I think this happened in 1867 or 1868.”

The following accounts of Indian fights during the year 1864, are taken from the Senate Report on the Condition of the Indian Tribes, published in 1867, page 260, et seq.:

“March 18.—Major Edward B. Willis, 1st Infantry California volunteers, with forty enlisted men and fourteen citizens, fell in with a party of Apaches near the San Francisco river, Arizona, killed five Indians and lost one man, Private Fisher, of company D, first cavalry, California volunteers."

“April 7.—Captain James H. Whitlock, 5th infantry California volunteers, with a command consisting of twenty-six enlisted men of company F and twenty enlisted men of Company I,

under Lieutenant Burkett, and ten enlisted men of Company C, first cavalry California volunteers, attacked about two hundred and fifty Indians near Mount Grey, or Sierra Bonita, Arizona, and after a spirited fight of over one hour routed the Indians, killing twenty-one of them left on the ground and wounding a large number. Forty-five head of horses and mules were captured from the Indians, and all their provisions and camp equipage destroyed."

“May 3.—Lieutenant Henry H. Stevens, 5th infantry California volunteers, with a command of fifty-four men, California volunteers, while on the march from Fort Cummings to Fort Bowie, Arizona, was attacked in Doubtful Canyon, near Steen's Peak, by about one hundred Apache Indians. The fight lasted for nearly two hours, and resulted in the killing of ten Apaches, who were left on the ground, and wounding about twenty. The troops lost in this 'affair one man missing and five wounded-one mortally; one horse killed and one wounded.”

"May 25.—Lieutenant Colonel Nelson H. Davis, assistant inspector-general United States army, with Captain T. T. Tidball, fifth infantry California volunteers, two commissioned officers and one hundred and two enlisted men, cavalry and infantry, started from Fort Bowie on a scout after Indians. On the 25th instant surprised a rancheria, and killed one Indian; later the same day, killed one Indian and captured


“May 26.—On the 26th instant came upon a rancheria, killed one Indian and destroyed several acres of corn. In this skirmish First Sergeant Christian Foster, of company K, fifth infantry California volunteers, was severely wounded. On the same day, one woman and two children were captured. On the 28th, captured five women and two children.”

“May 29.—On the 29th instant the command surprised a rancheria, and killed thirty-six, wounded four, and took two prisoners; captured six hundred and sixty-six dollars in gold coin, one Sharp's carbine, one Colt's revolver, one shotgun, one saddle, one thousand pounds of mescal, and a lot of horse equipments, powder, powder-horns, &c. Sergeant Charles Brown, of company K, fifth infantry California volunteers, is mentioned in Captain Tidball's report for his zeal and energy in this scout.”

“June 3.—The Apache Indians attacked a party of five miners near Fort Whipple, Arizona, and wounded every man of the party.”

“June 7.-Captain Julius C. Shaw, 1st cavalry New Mexico volunteers, with his command, attacked a rancheria near Apache spring. Two Indians were mortally wounded."

“June 11.–Four Apaches attacked a party of soldiers under Captain T. T. Tidball, near San Pedro crossing, but did not succeed in doing any damage. The troops wounded one of the Indians.

“June 20.—Major Edward B. Willis, 1st infantry California volunteers, reports that a detachment under his command attacked a party of Apache Indians near the Salinas river, Arizona, and killed four of them.”

“June 20.—The express escort between Camp Goodwin and Fort Bowie was attacked by a party of Indians, while crossing the Chiricahui mountains. The Indians were whipped off by

the escort. Several Indians reported wounded. Four burros were taken from the Indians."

“June -:-Captain Henry M. Benson, 1st infantry California volunteers, left Fort Whipple, Arizona Territory, with his company F, first California infantry, on a scout after Indians. Five Indians were killed and two wounded by this command, and large quantities of corn and beans destroyed.”

“June -:-Captain Albert H. Pfeiffer, 1st cavalry New Mexico volunteers, with one lieutenant and sixty-four enlisted men, attacked a band of Indians near the Colorado Chiquito, Arizona, and in a running fight of eight miles killed five and wounded seven of them. After the fight was over two Indians came into camp with signs of peace, but in a moment fired their guns, severely wounding Captain Pfeiffer and Private Pedro Rael. The Indians were instantly killed. When the shots were fired a large party of Indians came running towards the camp. A volley was fired into them, when they scattered in all directions. This volley wounded several.”

“August 1.-Captain T. T. Tidball, 5th infantry California volunteers, returned from a scout of twenty-three days. He reports that he saw but few Indians, and killed but one-an Apache chief called “Old Plume.' " “August 7.-Sergeant B. F. Ferguson, of com

– pany E, 5th infantry California volunteers, with a party of men, attacked fifteen Apaches who were seen approaching the camp on the Rio Carlos, and killed five of them."

“August ––Captain John S. Thayer, 5th infantry California volunteers, left Fort Good

« PrejšnjaNaprej »