Slike strani


The University authorities expect all students to set and observe among themselves a proper standard of conduct. It is therefore taken for granted that, when a student enters the University, he has an earnest purpose and studious and gentlemanly habits; and this presumption in his favor continues until, by neglect of duty or ungentlemanly behavior, he reverses it. But if an offense occurs, whether it be against good behavior or academic duty, the University authorities will take such action as the particular occurrence, judged in the light of the attendant circumstances, may seem to them to require. Students who fail to make proper use of the opportunities freely given to them by the University must expect to have their privileges curtailed or withdrawn.

Grades of Censure. Censure will be expressed in the four grades of probation, suspension, dismissal, and expulsion. Probation indicates that the student is in danger of exclusion from the University. Suspension is exclusion from the University for a definite period. Dismissal is exclusion for an indefinite period, and with the presumption that the student's connection with the University will be ended by it. Expulsion is the highest academic censure, and is final exclusion of the student from the University.


There shall be a standing committee on athletics, whose duty it shall be to supervise all matters relating to athletic contests, to promulgate and publish rules for the conduct thereof, and to represent the Academic Senate and Faculties in all matters that concern intercollegiate and other sports. This committee shall exercise its discretion in the conduct of all minor and routine matters relating to athletics, but on questions of broad university policy it shall report to the Senate. The Faculties will exercise such supervision over athletic contests, both intercollegiate and local, and over all matters pertaining thereto, as may appear necessary for the best interests of the University.


1. A student in any of the Engineering Colleges or the College of Agriculture may freely elect his thesis in any department offering work in the last two years of the college in which he is enrolled.

2. The subject of the thesis and the methods of work involved shall be appropriate to the aims of the college in which the student is enrolled.

3. On or before the first Monday of January of his senior year the student must present to his Study-Lists Committee a special Thesis Registration Card stating the department and the instructor with whom he elects to do his thesis work. This card must be approved by the instructor concerned.

4. The same rules and regulations shall apply to the thesis work that govern the student in regard to instruction, methods of withdrawal or substitution, grading, failure, etc., in other courses of instruction.

5. The candidate must report to the instructor in charge of his thesis work whenever called upon to do so.

6. The thesis must be presented in form sufficient for final examination and criticism by the instructor on or before the third Monday in April.

7. The thesis must be submitted complete on or before the second Wednesday in May.

8. A student expecting to be graduated in February must have his thesis subject approved on the third Monday of the preceding April, present the work for examination and criticism on or before the third Monday in December, and submit the thesis complete on or before the second Monday in January. In all other respects he will be guided by the above instructions, 1-7.

Note.—The size of page for theses is 812 x 11 inches. Record ink should be used. For further instructions the student should consult the department in which his thesis work is taken.

HONORABLE MENTION The term “Honorable Mention' is placed upon the junior certificates of students who have attained at least second grade in forty-eight (48) units of their freshman and sophomore courses.


(a) Concerning honors with the bachelor's degree in the College of Letters and Science, in the College of Chemistry and in the College of Commerce, see the sections explanatory of the work of these respective colleges in earlier pages of this circular.

(b) In the Colleges of Engineering and Agriculture students may receive honors with the bachelor's degree on the basis of the quality of the work done in the regular curriculum of the senior year, or of a thesis showing ability to do original work, or of distinction in the advanced work of any department, as attested by the recommendation of that


DEGREES Every undergraduate student who intends to become a candidate for a degree must file with the Recorder of the Faculties a detailed schedule of studies offered for the degree sought. This schedule must be filed by regular students at least six calendar months, by all other students at least one full academic year, before the date proposed for graduation, and must be approved by the committee on graduation of the college in which the student is enrolled.

Of the one hundred and twenty-four (or more) units required for the bachelor's degree, at least twenty-four units must have been completed at this University.

Courses not required by the curriculum for graduation may be dropped from the record of any student on formal petition to the Faculty concerned.

Work done in any professional college or school of this or any other university, or in any independent professional school, will not be accepted as a substitute for any part of the work of the first three years of the undergraduate course or of the first year of the upper division.

Work done in a professional college of this university by a regular student will be accepted as a substitute for not more than one year's work (normally the senior year) in a college of general culture, the amount and character of said year's work to be determined after consultation with the professional faculties.

As a matter of courtesy between different faculties of the University, there is no objection to the acceptance of work done in a professional college as a substitute for work done in an academic college, provided such substitution be made in accordance with the regulations and with the consent of the departments concerned at Berkeley certifying that the work is of equal value. But such work cannot be counted twice (except by special legislation), once for a professional degree in a professional college and again also for an academic degree.

All the graduates of any one calendar year–January 1 to December 31-shall be ranked as belonging to the so-called class of that year.


For information regarding all matters pertaining to the Graduate Division, including the requirements for the degrees of Master of Arts, Master of Science, Graduate in Public Health, Graduate in Architecture, Juris Doctor, Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Civil Engineer, Metallurgical Engineer, Mining Engineer, and Doctor of Philosophy see the latest Announcement of the Graduate Division, to be obtained upon application to the Recorder of the Faculties.



The duties of the Deans of the several colleges at Berkeley are as follows:

1. To issue excuses for brief absence to students enrolled in their respective colleges in all cases in which the absence shall exceed one day. For single absences instructors shall have power to excuse.

2. To answer inquiries from students of their respective colleges, or from their parents or guardians, as to the rules and regulations of the University; and to give information or explanation to students and others who may be in doubt as to the requirements or methods of procedure.

3. To act as advisors of students in their respective colleges, or to designate advisors for them from their respective faculties.

THE DEAN OF THE LOWER DIVISION The Dean of the Lower Division assists the President of the University and the faculties of the academic colleges in matters pertaining to the general and personal interests of the students of the sophomore and freshman classes.


The Dean of Women assists the President of the University and the faculties of the academic colleges in matters pertaining to the general and personal interests of the women students of the University.

THE ONE-MILE LIQUOR LAW Section 172 of the Penal Code of California makes it a misdemeanor for any person to sell, give away, or expose for sale upon the University grounds, or within one mile of, any vinous or alcoholic liquors. In addition, all traffic in liquors is prohibited by the municipal ordinances of the city of Berkeley.

EXPENSES OF STUDENTS Tuition in the academic colleges at Berkeley and tuition at the Lick Observatory is free to residents of the state. Non-residents of California are charged a tuition fee of ten dollars each half-year. Tuition in the Medical School, both for residents and for non-residents, is $150 a year. Students in Public Health, Curricula A and B, are subject to the fee of $150 for the year spent in the Medical School; students in Curriculum C are subject to the fee of $75 during the half-year in the Medical School (second half of the fifth year). The following incidental expenses are to be met:

Gymnasium and Infirmary Fees.—The gymnasium fee is $2 per halfyear, and the infirmary fee is $3 per half-year; both are payable by every student, graduate or undergraduate, before his study-card is filed. These fees entitle students to gymnasium and hospital privileges, and are not remitted, in whole or in part, for those who may not desire to make use of these privileges. Gymnasium privileges comprise, besides the use of the gymnasium, tennis courts, swimming pool, baths, lockers, washrooms, etc. The infirmary fee entitles students, in case of illness, to hospital care (cost of surgical operations not included) or dispensary treatment. Onehalf of the amount of these fees is returned to students who leave the University during the first half-year before September 1 (in 1918, October 14) or during the second half-year before February 1 (in 1919, February 17).

University students assigned to work at the University Farm, Davis, are required to pay a gymnasium and infirmary fee of $5.

A law library fee of $12.50 per half-year is payable at the time of registration by every student registering in more than one professional course in law.

Laboratory Fees. In the laboratories a charge is made for materials actually used. This charge, for students in the elementary laboratories, amounts to from $5 to $30 per annum.

Military Uniforms. Every able-bodied male undergraduate student is required to take military exercises in the University. Students may be required to deposit with the Comptroller immediately after admission a sum sufficient to cover the cost of the uniform (about $28). It is expected, however, that uniforms and other equipment for enlisted members of the Students' Army Training Corps will be supplied by the War Department.

Board and lodging may be obtained in private families in or near Berkeley and Oakland at from $30 to $45 a month. They may often be had in return for various personal services in the household. The hours of recitation are such that many students reside in Oakland and San Francisco. The journey from San Francisco requires forty minutes. The cost of board and lodging, in students' boarding clubs, ranges from $20 to $25 a month. A few students “board themselves" for as low as $20 a month, but this plan of living is not generally to be recommended.

There are no dormitories maintained by the University. Lists of boarjling places approved by the University authorities are published at

« PrejšnjaNaprej »