Slike strani

Residence; Graduate Division; General Information



Residence at the University is residence in its vicinity and attendance upon such of its exercises as are appointed for the student. In this sense, residence at Mount Hamilton is residence at the University for such students as have been appointed to work at the Lick Observatory, residence at La Jolla is residence at the University for such students as have been appointed to work in the Marine Biological Laboratory, and residence at Davis is residence for such students as have been appointed to work at the University Farm. In the graduate division, residence at any place, or in any field, which may be designated by the proper faculty as suitable for the work of a candidate for one of the advanced degrees is regarded as residence at the University.


For information regarding all matters pertaining to the Graduate Division, including the requirements for the degrees of Master of Arts, Master of Science, Graduate in Public Health, Graduate in Architecture, Juris Doctor, Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Civil Engineer, Metallurgical Engineer, Mining Engineer, and Doctor of Philosophy see the Announcement of the Graduate Division, to be obtained upon application to the Dean of the Graduate Division,



The duties of the Deans of the several colleges at Berkeley are as


1. To issue excuses for brief absence to students enrolled in their respective colleges in all cases in which the absence shall exceed one day. For single absences instructors shall have power to excuse.

2. To answer inquiries from students of their respective colleges, or from their parents or guardians, as to the rules and regulations of the University; and to give information or explanation to students and others who may be in doubt as to the requirements or methods of procedure.

3. To act as advisers of students in their respective colleges, or to designate advisers for them from their respective faculties.


The Dean of the Undergraduate Division assists the President of the University and the faculties of the academic colleges in matters pertaining to the general and personal interests of undergraduates.


The Dean of Women assists the President of the University and the faculties of the academic colleges in matters pertaining to the general and personal interests of the women students of the University.


[ocr errors]

The cost of board and lodging (1) in boarding houses in or near Berkeley is $40 to $55 a month; (2) in fraternities and students' clubs from $35 to $50 a month. (3) For students living in housekeeping rooms and “boarding themselves" the expenses may be reduced as low as $25 to $35 a month, but this plan of living is not generally recommended. (4) The hours of recitation are such that students may commute from their homes in Oakland and San Francisco. (5) Families or groups of mature students who wish to rent furnished houses or apartments should apply to the local real estate agents. Rents near the campus for housing eight or more persons range from $65 up, unfurnished. A two-room furnished apartment with bath and kitchenette, janitor service, heat and house laundry rents from $50 up. (A list of real estate agents will be supplied on request.)

There are no dormitories maintained by the University. Accommodations in private boarding houses near the University are limited. Students are advised to make arrangements for their living quarters well before the opening of the University. It is expected that the difficulty of obtaining suitable rooms will increase rather than diminish during the coming year. Lists of boarding places approved by the University authorities are published at the opening of every session, one list for men and another for women. No freshman woman is permitted to complete her registration unless her boarding place is first approved by the Dean of Women.

Lists of approved boarding places and further advice concerning living accommodations may be obtained at the office of the Dean of Women, 205 California Hall, and at the office of the Dean of the Undergraduate Division, 207 California Hall.


Opportunities for Self-Support.—Men students desiring employment should apply for information at the Employment Bureau, 113 California Hall.

The Employment Bureau acts only as an agent for the purpose of bringing together employers and students desiring work. It does not undertake to make arrangements with respect to remuneration.

Women students desiring employment should apply at the office of the Dean of Women, 205 California Hall, 9 a.m. to 12 m. daily. Board and lodging can be obtained in exchange for three or four hours of household work daily. Opportunities also exist for obtaining employment on an hourly basis in the following fields: typewriting and stenography, elerical work, tutoring, telephone service, housework, care of children, general manual labor, etc. A student qualified to do draughting, computing and other technical work can occasionally find employment on a more remunerative basis than in these fields.

Self-supporting students are respected. With reasonable diligence a student can devote from twelve to twenty-five hours per week to outside work without seriously interfering with college work of from twelve to sixteen units (involving thirty-six to forty-eight hours per week). It should always be borne in mind, however, by students seeking employment that not every kind nor every amount of outside work is entirely compatible with the student's main purpose at the University, namely, his education. Only in rare instances can a student be entirely self


The Young Men's Christian Association acts as a bureau of information concerning boarding places and opportunities for remunerative employment.

Applicants for employment in teaching or tutoring should apply at the office of the Appointment Secretary, 102 California Hall. These agencies, however, can do little for students who are not actually on the ground to negotiate for themselves. It is usually so difficult for a stranger to secure remunerative employment from the start that, in general, no one should come to Berkeley expecting to become self-supporting through

course without having on hand at the beginning sufficient funds to cover the expenses of the first half-year.

the university


For cost of board and lodging see above.

T'uition in the academic colleges at Berkeley and tuition at the Lick Observatory is free to residents of the state. Non-residents of California are charged a tuition fee of ten dollars each half-year. Tuition in the Medical School and in the College of Dentistry, both for residents and non-residents, is $150 a year. Students in Public Health, Curricula A and B, are subject to a fee of $150 for the year spent in the Medical School; students in Curriculum C are subject to the fee of $75 during the halfyear in the Medical School (second half-year of the fifth year). The following incidental expenses are to be met:

Gymnasium and Infirmary Fees.—The gymnasium fee is $2 per halfyear and the infirmary fee is $3 per half-year; both are payable by every student, graduate or undergraduate, before his study-card is filed. These fees entitle students to gymnasium and hospital privileges, and are not remitted, in whole or in part, for those who may not desire to make use of these privileges. Gymnasium privileges comprise, besides the use of the gymnasium, tennis courts, swimming pool, baths, lockers, washrooms, etc. The infirmary fee entitles students, in case of illness, to hospital care (cost of surgical operations not included) or dispensary treatment. One-half of the amount of these fees is returned to students who leave the University during the first half-year before September 1 or during the second half-year before February 1.

A law library fee of $12.50 per half-year is payable at the time of registration by every student registering in more than one professional course in law.

Laboratory fees. In the laboratories a charge is made for materials actually used. This charge, for students in the elementary laboratories, amounts to from $5 to $30 per annum.

The military uniform deposit is $30, and the military text book deposit is $3; both deposits are payable by every student subject to military training before his study-card is filed. Military training is prescribed for all first- and second-year undergraduate male students who are citizens of the United States, able-bodied, and under twenty-four years of age at admission to the University. The United States furnishes uniforms and some text books for the use of students receiving military training. The University being responsible for uniforms and text books furnished by the United States requires the student to deposit with the Comptroller an amount necessary to cover the cost of the articles issued him. The deposit is refunded at the close of the academic year, or upon the student's withdrawal from the University, provided the student then returns in good condition all articles issued him. The amount necessary to replace articles not returned by the student will be retained by the Comptroller. The text books are loaned the student through the University Library. The uniform is furnished the student by the Supply Officer at Military Science Building:

Other expenses are: Gymnasium outfit for men, about $4; for women, about $10; books and stationery, from $18 to $25 per annum. All students are eligible to membership in the Associated Students of the University of California. The cost of a membership card is about $5 per year. The eard entitles the holder to participation in the affairs of the Associated Students; a free subscription to the Daily Californian; free admission to all athletic contests held on the campus under the jurisdiction of the Associated Students with the exception of final intercollegiate contests, and membership in the Associated Students' Store with the privilege of rebates on all purchases.

The ordinary yearly expenses of a student in the academic departments, including personal expenses, would probably be at least $700.


In return for the infirmary fee, each student is entitled to consultation, and medical and hospital care at the infirmary, on the campus. The daily average of dispensary consultations and treatments exceeds one hundred and fifty. Full hospital care is given in case of serious illness. There is no charge, beyond the infirmary fee, for ordinary medical or hospital service; but if a surgical operation or a special nurse be required the cost must be borne by the patient. A small hourly charge is made for dental service.


A circular concerning undergraduate scholarships may be obtained from the Recorder of the Faculties. Information concerning graduate scholarships and fellowships may be obtained from the Dean of the Graduate Division, University of California, Berkeley.


The Extension Division serves persons who seek training and information but who cannot attend the University. It is a means of extending to the people of California, so far as practicable, the usefulness of the University. It aims to help as many citizens as possible to utilize their leisure and to meet more fully their civic responsibilities. It aims to help official and voluntary groups to make their communities stable, prosperous, and progressive. It aims to promote sound public opinion in support of American institutions and ideals.

The work covers two fields of activtiy, instruction and public service, and is carried on through six departments.

« PrejšnjaNaprej »