Slike strani

Manassas Gap. On the 6th the corps had moved up to and occupied Waterloo and its neighborhood on the Rappahannock. The army was closed up on the two following days, and on the evening of the 9th the entire command was in position as follows: "The first, second and fifth corps, reserve artillery and general headquarters were at Warrenton; the Ninth Corps on the line of the Rappahannock, in the vicinity of Waterloo; the sixth corps at New Baltimore; the eleventh corps at New Baltimore, Gainesville and Thoroughfare Gap; Sickles's division of the third corps on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad from Manassas Junction to Warrenton Junction; Pleasonton across the Rappahannock at Annissville, Jefferson, &c., with his pickets at Hazel river facing Longstreet, six miles from Culpepper Court House; Bayard near Rappahannock station."* The enemy had not yet emerged from the Shenandoah valley with his entire force. General Longstreet "was immediately in our front near Culpepper," with the advance of the rebel army. But the remainder of the enemy's command had not yet come up. General Jackson with-as supposed-Generals A. P. and D. H. Hill, was near Chester's and Thornton's Gaps, and the most of their force was west of the Blue Ridge. A heavy snow storm set in on the morning of the 7th, and continued for two days, changing to rain. The situation was excessively uncomfortable, and the roads were in very bad condition. But the entire command was well closed up.

no apprehensions were entertained of any immediate trouble with the enemy, the army was in good spirits, "perfectly in hand" and in "excellent condition to fight a great battle.".

Late on the night of the 7th, a special messenger from the War Department at Washington arrived at General McClellan's Headquarters, bearing the following order:

"WASHINGTON, Nov. 5, 1862.

"By direction of the President of the United States, it is ordered that Major General McClellan be relieved from the *McClellan's Report, p. 237.

command of the Army of the Potomac, and that Major General Burnside take the command of that army.

"By order of the Secretary of War,

E. D. TOWNSEND, Ass't. Adj't. Gen.

On the 9th of November General Burnside assumed the command of the Army of the Potomac, and issued the following order:

"WARRENTON, VA., Nov. 9, 1862.

"General Orders, No. 1.

"In accordance with General Orders, No. 182, issued by the President of the United States, I hereby assume command of the Army of the Potomac.

"Patriotism and the exercise of my every energy, in the direction of this army, aided by the full and hearty cooperation of its officers and men, will, I hope, under the blessing of God, ensure its success.


Having been a sharer of the privations and a witness of the bravery of the old army of the Potomac in the Maryland campaign, and fully identified in their feelings of respect and esteem for General McClellan, entertained through a long and most friendly association with him, I feel that it is not as a stranger that I assume this command.

"To the Ninth Corps, so long and intimately associated with me, I need say nothing; our histories are identical.

"With diffidence for myself, but with a proud confidence in the unswerving loyalty and determination of the gallant army now entrusted to my care, I accept its control with the steadfast assurance that the just cause must prevail.


Major General Commanding."


General Burnside's assignment to the command of the Army of the Potomac separated him for a time from the intimate,

[ocr errors]

personal control of the Ninth Corps which he had heretofore exercised. The confidence and esteem which had existed between the men and officers of the corps and himself continued unabated. But they were now obliged to look to another commander, to be immediately present with them in the scenes of danger and duty which were now before them. Major General Parke followed his friend and became Chief of Staff of the Army of the Potomac. Brigadier General Orlando B. Willcox, who had been assigned to the command of the Ninth Corps upon the retirement of General Cox, was still continued in command. The organization of the corps at this time was as follows: First Division under the command of Brigadier General W. W. Burns, consisting of two brigades, respectively under the command of Colonels Thomas Welsh and B. C. Christ; Second Division under the command of Brigadier General Samuel D. Sturgis, consisting of two brigades respectively under the command of Brigadier Generals James Nagle and Edward Ferrero; Third Division under the command of Brigadier General G. W. Getty, consisting of two brigades respectively under the command of Colonels R. C. Hawkins and Edward Harland. The artillery was distributed as follows: First Division, Dickinson's Battery E, 4th New York artillery, and Durell's Battery A, 104th Pennsylvania artillery; Second Division, Benjamin's Battery E, 2d United States artillery, Cook's 8th Massachusetts battery; Third Division, Whitney's howitzer battery, 9th New York, Edwards's two sections each of batteries L and M, 3d United States, and Muhlenburg's battery A, 5th United States Artillery. General Willcox had already seen much and painful service and it may not be inappropriate to insert here a brief account in detail of his career up to this point.

Orlando Bolivar Willcox was born in Detroit, Mich., April 16, 1823. Securing an appointment to the Military Academy at West Point, he graduated from that institution, the eighth in his class, June, 1847. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant July 1, 1847, was soon after assigned to Light Battery

G, 4th United States Artillery, joined his company in Mexico, and served with faithfulness and efficiency in that country, on the Western Plains, in Texas and in Florida. He was also stationed at different times at Forts Washington, Ontario, Mifflin and Independence. He was promoted to a First Lieutenancy in 1850. But his tastes afterwards led him towards civil life, and on the 10th of September, 1857 he resigned his commission in the army, was immediately admitted to the bar at Detroit, and commenced the practice of the profession of law in his native city. He was gradually winning his way to an honorable place in his new profession, when the rebellion broke out. Like other army officers who had retired to civil life, he heard the summons to arms-as though it was personally addressed to himself. He accepted the command of the 1st Regiment of Michigan Volunteers, and was mustered into the service of the United States as Colonel on the 1st of May, 1861. When the decision was made to march into Virginia, the 1st Michigan was selected to form a portion of the force. Colonel Willcox led his regiment into Alexandria on the night of the 24th of May, and captured a company of rebel cavalry that was quartered there under command of Captain Ball. He was appointed Military Governor of the city upon its permanent occupation by our troops. In the advance on Manassas, Colonel Willcox was assigned to the command of the Second Brigade in Colonel Heintzelman's Division, and, marching on Fairfax Station, July 17th, took eleven prisoners and one stand of colors.

In the battle of Bull Run on the 21st of July, Colonel Willcox's brigade was engaged about noon and fought very bravely, until its commander was severely wounded and taken prisoner, when its position was turned, and the army was driven back to Centreville. Colonel Willcox tasted the bitterness of Southern imprisonment, at Richmond, Charleston, Columbia and Salisbury, at one time being held as one of the hostages for some captured privateersmen whom we held in our hands. For a period of twelve months and twenty-six days he

[graphic][ocr errors]
« PrejšnjaNaprej »