Slike strani

it shall be to supervise all matters relating to athletic contests, to promulgate and publish rules for the conduct thereof, and to represent the Academic Council and Faculties in all matters that concern intercollegiate and other sports. This committee shall exercise its discretion in the conduct of all minor and routine matters relating to athletics, but on questions of broad University policy it shall report to the Council. The Faculties will exercise such supervision over athletic contests, both intercollegiate and local, and over all matters pertaining thereto, as may appear necessary for the best interests of the University.


1. A student in any of the Engineering Colleges, or the College of Agriculture, may freely elect his thesis in any department offering work in the last two years of the college in which he is enrolled.

2. The subject of the thesis and the methods of work involved shall be appropriate to the aims of the college in which the student is enrolled.

3. On or before the first Monday of October of his senior year, the student must present to his Study-lists Committee a special Thesis Registration Card stating the department and the instructor with whom he elects to do his thesis work. This card must be approved by the instructors concerned.

4. The same rules and regulations shall apply to the thesis work that govern the student in regard to instruction, methods of withdrawal or substitution, grading, failure, etc., in other courses of instruction.

5. The candidate must report to the instructor in charge of his thesis work whenever called upon to do so.

6. The thesis must be presented in form sufficient for final examination and eriticism by the instructor on or before the first Monday in April.

7. The thesis must be submitted complete on or before the last day of April.

8. A student expecting to be graduated in December must have his thesis subject approved on the third Monday of the preceding February, present the work for examination and criticism on or before the first Monday in November, and submit the thesis complete on or before the last day of November. In all other respects he will be guided by the

above instructions, 1-7.

NOTE.-The size of page for theses is 81⁄2 11 inches. Record ink should be used. For further instructions, the student should consult the department in which his thesis work is taken.


Departments the bachelor's degree such students as shall have satisfied the requirements for honors, which are normally as follows:

or colleges are authorized to recommend for honors with

(a) In the colleges of general culture and of Commerce, Agriculture, and Chemistry every candidate for honors must complete with marked scholarly success, a course or combination of courses equivalent to not more than two to three hours a week of attendance but calling for a total of about fifteen hours a week of effort, inclusive of attendance or formal conferences, and entitling the student to five units of credit. Such honor courses will be open to seniors, not exceeding twelve in number for each course, who, because of the quality of their previous work, shall have been declared eligible therefor by the department concerned.

(b) In the Colleges of Engineering, and in the College of Medicine for students who become candidates for a bachelor's degree, and in the departments of Jurisprudence and Architecture students may be recommended for honors on the basis of the quality of the work done in the regular curriculum of the senior year or its equivalent, or on the basis of a thesis showing ability to do original work.

(c) Or, students may be recommended for honors in any college or department on the basis of a thesis showing ability to do original work.

The Academic Council has established a standing committee of seven members on honors, whose duty it is to report from time to time on matters concerning uniformity of standard and the coördination of the requirements of the several departments.


The term "Honorable Mention" shall be placed upon the Junior Certificate of students who have attained at least second grade in fortyeight (48) units of their Freshman and Sophomore courses.

Students in the Colleges of Letters, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and Agriculture who receive the Junior Certificate with honorable mention will be required to complete only fifty-one units in the Upper Division.


Every undergraduate student who intends to become a candidate for a degree must file with the Recorder of the Faculties a detailed schedule of studies offered for the degree sought. This schedule must be filed by regular students at least six calendar months, by all other students at least one full academic year, before the date proposed for graduation, and must be approved by the committee on graduation of the college in which the student is enrolled.

Of the one hundred and twenty-four (or more) units required for the bachelor's degree, at least twenty-four units must have been completed at this University.

Courses not required by the curriculum for graduation may be dropped from the record of any student on formal petition to the Faculty concerned.

Work done in any professional college or school of this or any other university, or in any independent professional school, will not be accepted as a substitute for any part of the work of the first three years of the undergraduate course or of the first year of the Upper Division.

Work done in a professional college of this university by a regular student will be accepted as a substitute for not more than one year's work (normally the senior year) in a college of general culture, the amount and character of said year's work to be determined after consultation with the professional faculties.

As a matter of courtesy between different faculties of the University, there is no objection to the acceptance of work done in a professional college as a substitute for work done in an academic college, provided such substitution be made in accordance with the regulations and with the consent of the department concerned at Berkeley certifying that the work is of equal value. But such work ean not be counted twice (except by special legislation), once for a professional degree in a professional college and again also for an academic degree.

All the graduates of any one calendar year-January 1 to December 31-shall be ranked as belonging to the so-called class of that year.




Advanced instruction, leading to the degrees of Master of Arts (with the corresponding degrees in Letters, Sciences, and Engineering, Doctor of Philosophy, Juris Doctor, Mechanical Engineer, Civil Engineer, Mining Engineer, etc., is offered by the University of California to graduates of any recognized college or university. If the preliminary training of such students has not been sufficient to qualify them for strictly graduate work, they will be admitted to such undergraduate courses, in the department in which they they expect to study, as may be suited to their needs.

The University Library contains about 250,000 volumes, not including the material contained in the Bancroft Collection. The Library is admirably adapted, so far as its extent allows, for purposes of advanced study and research.

The laboratories are extensive and well equipped, and every facility is afforded for work in the higher lines of pure and applied science.


Professional training for students who desire to teach is offered by the University through the Department of Education and other departments that offer special Teachers' Courses. The requirements for the recommendation for the Teacher's Certificate are given hereunder.




Persons holding the degree of Bachelor of Arts, Letters, Philosophy, or Science, from a reputable institution authorized by law to confer these degrees, or holding any other degree or certificate which the Academic Council may accept as equivalent, may be admitted as Graduate Students in the University of California, upon presenting official credentials.

Graduates of any one of the following institutions, constituting the Association of American Universities, may be admitted as qualified candidates for a higher degree: University of California, Catholic University of America, University of Chicago, Clark University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Harvard University, University of Illinois, Indiana University, State University of Iowa, Johns Hopkins University, University of Kansas, Leland Stanford Junior University, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, University of Missouri, University of Nebraska, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, University of Virginia, University of Wisconsin, Yale University.

The grade of work to which Graduate Students are assigned and their standing as candidates for degrees will depend upon the extent and character of their undergraduate course. If in any department the preliminary training of applicants has not been sufficient to qualify them for strictly graduate work, they may be admitted to such undergraduate courses as may be suited to their needs.

The status of all Graduate Students will lapse at the close of each academic year, unless they have been admitted to candidacy for degrees; but on application it may be renewed at the discretion of the Academic Council.



Graduate Students may be Resident Graduates not candidates for a degree; or they may become candidates for either a Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctor's Degree, or for a professional degree in Engineering. Graduate Students will be considered as Resident Graduates not candidates for a degree, unless admitted to candidacy by the Academic Council after formal application.

Registration for study in absence is permissable only to accepted candidates for Masters', Doctors', and Engineers' degrees. Candidates who are graduates of this University may be registered as non-resident students at any time, subject to other regulations. not graduates of this University must spend at least one year in residence before they will be permitted to register as students in absence.

Candidates who are

Residence at the Hertzstein Research Laboratory at New Monterey, or at the Southern California Pathological Laboratory at Whittier, or at the University Farm at Davis is residence at the University for such students as have been appointed to work at any one or all of these places. Residence wherever a student may be directed by the Faculty to proseeute regular scientific investigation is regarded as residence at the University.

No Graduate Student will be recommended for any of the degrees

« PrejšnjaNaprej »