Slike strani
PDF
ePub

the members of the Council; and to choose three ministers or churches without the bounds of the county, and should not insist on more than three, unless the whole Council consisted of more than fourteen. I also told them, that I should insist on a provisional choice of some others out of the county, to come in case any of the three first pitched upon should fail; so that I might indeed have three from other parts of the land.

"It was then strongly insisted on by the Church, that I ought not to be allowed to choose any out of the county; so that the consideration of the number to be chosen out of the county, was for the present laid aside. And the matter debated was, "Whether I should be allowed to bring any at all from without the bounds of the county?" After much talk, it was put to vote in the following words:" Whether or not you do consent, that in choosing the Council now under consideration, I, in my choice, should go out of this county for any part of the Council? Let those, who do consent, manifest it, by holding up their hands."-It was not voted.Upon which I told the church, that the business of the meeting was come to an end; as it was apparent that Pastor and People could act in nothing together, in calling a Council. After some discourse, I told them, that I stood ready to yield to have but two of the Council from abroad, unless the Council consisted of more than ten; but should insist on three, if the whole was more than ten, and on more, if the Council was above fourteen. It being moved by some of the brethren, that the meeting should be adjourned one day, for further consideration; it was accordingly adjourned to the next day, at one o'clock.

"Accordingly the next day we met again; and the last subject of consideration, concerning my going out of the County for any part of the Council, was proposed again; and, supposing they had now had sufficient consideration of the matter, I was about to put it to vote again. But then it was desired by some, that there might be a reconsideration of the first vote that had passed the day before, concerning the business of the Council; and suggested that, if some alteration were made in that vote, there was a probability that the latter vote, concerning my going out of the connty, would pass without difficulty. Then Major Pomroy declared that a number of the brethren had met together, and drawn up something determining the business of the Council: which draught he read, which was to this purpose, viz., "That the Council should come, and propose terms of accommodation between pastor and people; to which, if the people did not consent, the Council should proceed immediately to dissolve the relation between pastor and people." I objected much against setting aside what had been already voted, to make way for any new projections, as only tending to open a door for new contests and Ticulties, and greatly to entangle and lengthen out our affairs; and so because there was nothing in what had been already voted but VOL. I.

50

on.

what was essential, what the nature of things and the state of our affairs did necessarily require, and therefore what I must insist upAnd I particularly objected to what Major Pomroy proposed, as limiting the Council, without referring any thing to their judg ment or advice, and not so much as suffering them to act their own judgment in determining, whether it was best immediately to proceed to separate between pastor and people. The same things were strongly objected by some others; and on the whole I manifested that I should wholly decline putting it to vote; on which, af ter much earnest talk, I put the other matter to vote, viz.-Whether I should be allowed to go out of the County for any members of the Council; which again passed in the negative.

"Upon this I informed the Church, that I was not against their having farther time for consideration, if they desired it, and farther conference with them, or with a Committee they might choose; but it would not be worth the while to make any farther attempt to act in concert, if they were fixed and resolved in these two things: -Not to leave it to the discretion of the Council, whether to separate; and, Not to allow me to choose any members of the Council out of the County.-Some of them declared they were fixed in these things; upon which I asked, if any had any thing to object against my dissolving the meeting, seeing we were come at present to a stop, as to acting any thing together; and told them withal that, if afterwards, on further consideration, a church meeting was desired to reconsider these matters, I would not refuse warning one. On this occasion, there was much earnest talk about the power of the Church to act without me, and to call a Council themselves. Finally some of the brethren thought I had best to dissolve the meeting, and accordingly I dissolved it; immediately after which, as the people began to move, in order to go out of the meeting house, some individuals called out very earnestly to them to stay. and proceed to act without me, and see if they could not have Maj. Pomroy's draught, (aforementioned) put to vote. I then came away; and the people that stayed behind differing among themselves, gradually dispersed, and did nothing.

"The next Friday, March 30, 1750, I sent to Deacon Cook the following declaration.

[The blank intended for the copy of the declaration is not filled

up.]

"The Monday following, being April 2, the Precinct met ac cording to adjournment. It was a very thin meeting consistin of about forty-four persons. It was proposed by some, the the Precinct should send a Messenger to the Association the lower part of the County, who were to sit that week Springfield Mountains, for their advice,-Whether they had be

to consent to what I insisted on, with regard to going out of the County, or not?—and it was put to vote whether they should send such a messenger; but they were not able to determine whether it was a vote or not, until they divided, when it appeared to be voted by a majority of 26 against 18. Accordingly Major Pomroy, Senior, and Mr. Joseph Hawley, were appointed a Committee to write to the Association in behalf of the Precinct; and Josiah Pomroy was appointed the messenger to carry the letter, and bring the return. The meeting was then adjourned until Tuesday, April 10. Accordingly this Committee wrote and sent to the Lower Association.

"On this occasion, the day before the Association met, I sent the following letter to Mr. Hopkins of Springfield.

[The blank left for the copy of this letter is not filled up.]

"The Association, on occasion of the message sent to them, and of my letter to Mr. Hopkins, sent a letter to me and another to the Committee which are as follows.

[The blank left for the copies of these letters is not filled up.]

"Tuesday, April 10, the Precinct met again according to adjournment. It was a thin meeting of about forty-one members. The moderator read my declaration, aforementioned, sent to Deac. Cook, and also the letters of the Lower Association to me and to the Committee; and after some discourse it was voted to desire me to call a Church meeting the next Monday, in order to some farther attempts for an agreement of pastor and people on some measures for bringing these affairs to issue, or that purpose. Then the meeting was adjourned to the next Tuesday, April 17.

"Accordingly the next Sabbath, April 15, I warned a meeting of the church for the next day at 3 o'clock, P. M. Agreeably to this warning the church met on Monday, April 16. After the meeting was opened by prayer, Major Pomroy read the letter, which the Committee of the Precinct had received from the Lower Association of this County. After this ensued some new disputes concerning the reasonableness of my being allowed to go out of the county for some of the Council, which should have power to issue our controversy. I also read the forementioned declaration, which I had sent to Deac. Cook, of March 30. I then told the church, if they had any thing to propose concerning another Previous Council, agreeably to the advice they had received, I stood ready to hear it and consider of it, and told them, if there appeared a disposition to call another Previous Council to determine-Whether it was not reasonable, that I should be allowed to go out of the county, in the choice of a Decisive Conncil?—I would take the matter into

consideration, and would ask the advice of my friends. But, from what was said, there did not appear to be any prevailing inclination to it, but the contrary.

"Then it was put to vote again-"Whether they were willing I should go out of the County for any members of the Council, which should have power to issue our controversy ?—and the church dividing upon it, there were about one hundred and nine against it, and fifty-six for it.

“After this, I put it to vote,-Whether the Church were willing, that another Previous Council should be called, in some way mutually chosen, in order to determine whether I might be allowed to go out of the County, for some members of a Decisive Council; and whether in that case they did consent that I should take time to consider of this matter, and ask advice of my friends?—and I saw but three or four hands up for it. So the meeting was dismissed.

"The next day, April 17, I went a journey down the country. The same day, after I was gone, the Precinct met again according to adjournment; when was read the following Letter from the Rev. Mr. Clark of Salem Village, directed to Major Pomroy, to be communicated to the Precinct.

[The blank, left for the copy of Mr. Clark's Letter, is not filled up. In it he doubtless declined complying with the request of the Precinct to answer Mr. Edward's Treatise on the Qualifications for communion.]

"At this meeting it was determined, That the brethren of the church should be called together by the warning of the Deacons the next Friday; and the Precinct meeting was adjourned to Wednesday, May 2.

"Accordingly, on Friday, April 20, there was a meeting of many brethren of the church, in the meeting-house, in my absence. Maj. Pomroy was chosen Moderator of the meeting; and then they proceeded to take into consideration the propriety and expediency of the brethren proceeding to act separately, i. e. without their pastor, in calling a Council. After some discourse, Mr. Joseph Hawley offered some proposals in writing, which, for substance, were,That a number of gentlemen, not exceeding seven, ministers or laymen, or both, should be mutually chosen from any part of the country, to come, not as sent by their churches, or as an Ecclesiastical Council, but as a number of advisers, to see if they could devise some way, in which the Pastor and Church might consist together, notwithstanding their difference in opinion. And to know the minds of the meeting, a vote was proposed by some; but others objected, and thought it better for the church to choose a Committee to consider of the proposals, and, if they saw needful, to amend it and present it to the pastor, and see if he would agree to it, and,

if he did, then to present it for their approbation. Upon this it was objected, since the proposal took its rise from the church, that it was improper that they should present it to the pastor for his approbation, before it was known whether the church would consent to it or not, if the pastor should. Hence it was urged that a vote should be put, whether the church would consent to it or the substance of it. The vote accordingly was put, and it passed in the affirmative by a great majority, as the moderator declared, and then the brethren present chose a Committee, viz. Maj. Pomroy, Col. Dwight, Mr. Joseph Hawley, Dea. Pomroy and Ebenezer Hunt, to consider what circumstantial alterations might be made in the proposal; and then the meeting was adjourned to the next Friday. The Committee met; but could not agree as to their business for which they were appointed; whether it was to consider of the proposal not only as to circumstantials but also as to the substance; and three of the Committee thought it not best for the church to act any further on the aforesaid proposal, but that it was better for the church to comply with what the Pastor had insisted on, of choosing some of the members of the Council without the limits of the county.

66

Friday, April 27, the brethren met again according to their adjournment, and voted, by a great majority, to comply with what I had insisted on, as to choosing some members of the Council without the bounds of the county, and appointed Dea. Pomroy to come to me to desire me to call a church meeting to prosecute that affair. Accordingly the next Sabbath I warned a church meeting, to be the next Thursday, May 3, at three o'clock, in order to another trial, whether Pastor and People could not agree on measures tending to bring our controversy to an issue.

"Wednesday, May 2, the Precinct met again according to adjournment and adjourned themselves further to the next day, at the meeting-house, to be held there after the church meeting.

I

"Thursday, May 3, the church met according to my appointment, and the former vote respecting the business of the Council, which passed at the church meeting, March 26, was read. Then proposed that a vote should be put again, respecting my going out of the county for two ministers or churches of the Council; and it was insisted that there should be a saving clause added, intimating that it was not proposed that this vote should be used as a precedent for the future. Then I put the vote to the brethren thus, "Do you consent that, in choosing the Council to transact the forementioned business, I in my choice should choose two ministers or churches without the bounds of this county, not intending that this shall hereafter have the force of a precedent?"-It passed in the Affirmative. Then I desired that I might make a provisional choice of two more, who might be applied to, in case those I might first choose should fail, or could not be obtained. This also was voted.

« PrejšnjaNaprej »