Year Book and Register of the Parish of Trinity Church in the City of New York

Sprednja platnica
 

Mnenja - Napišite recenzijo

Na običajnih mestih nismo našli nobenih recenzij.

Izbrane strani

Vsebina

Druge izdaje - Prikaži vse

Pogosti izrazi in povedi

Priljubljeni odlomki

Stran 21 - This is, in the strict sense of the word, a mission church, having daily morning and evening prayer, the weekly Communion, a large Sunday school, a parochial school, and several clergymen, one of whom resides in the ninth ward, in the midst of the poor population in that quarter of the town. St. Luke's Church has scarcely a wealthy person connected with it; the people are unable to support it, and the building would have been sold and the site abandoned long ago had not the Corporation of Trinity...
Stran 19 - Rev. Horatio Potter, Bishop of the Diocese of New York. This Chapel stands on East Houston street, between the Bowery and Second Avenue. In addition to these Churches, there is included in the Parish the Chapel of St. Cornelius, on Governor's Island. That Chapel was built more than twenty years ago, by the free-will offerings of churchmen of this city, through the exertions of the Rev. John McVickar, ST D., US Chaplain at Fort Columbus.
Stran 20 - Parish, twenty receive aid in the shape of annual donations and contributions toward their support. Of these the first in order of importance is St. Luke's, Hudson Street, opposite Grove. This is, in the strict sense of the word, a mission church, having daily morning and evening prayer, the weekly Communion, a large Sunday School, a Parochial School, and several clergymen, one of whom resides in the Ninth Ward, in the midst of the poor population in that quarter of the town. St. Luke's Church has...
Stran 22 - Eleventh street; all doing Mission work in poor districts of the town. Besides the aid extended to these and others, annual allowances are made to the Mission for Seamen in the City and Port of New York, to the City Mission Society, to enable them to support the Chaplain at St. Barnabas...
Stran 48 - ... of the State of New York respecting the . . . Harbor: together with the names of the persons who have acted as trustees of the same, — with their by-laws, etc. New York, 1848. 69 pp., i pi. 8°. Saint Augustine League of the Diocese of New York. Annual report, no. 6 (1895/6). New York, 1896. 8°. A branch of the Woman's Auxiliary to the Board of Missions of the PE Church.
Stran 18 - ... extinguishing the property in them, for the purpose of facilitating the attendance of those desiring to avail themselves of the advantages offered by the Churches. Three Churches have occupied the site on which the present Parish Church stands; the dates are as follows: — The first Church was.begun AD 1696, finished AD 1697, enlarged AD 1737, and destroyed by fire AD 1776.
Stran 19 - April 23d, 1867. The corner-stone was laid by the Right Rev. Bishop Potter, assisted by the Right Rev. Bishop Neely, on the 28th day of October, AD 1868; the first service was held in the Church, November 7th, 1869, and the Chapel was consecrated Oct.
Stran 18 - AD 1696, finished AD 1697, enlarged AD 1737, and destroyed by fire AD 1776. The second Church was built AD 1788, and pulled down to make place for the present one, AD 1839, being then in an unsafe condition.

Bibliografski podatki